Chief Steward Vacancy
Nominations are still being accepted for the position of YUFA Chief Steward (1 of 2 positions). The term of office for this position begins June 1, 2023, and ends on May 31, 2025. Read more about the position here.
This is a very rewarding position of great importance to YUFA, piloting complaints, grievances and arbitrations on behalf of YUFA members. It comes with full teaching relief and great support from YUFA staff and officers. Interested candidates are encouraged to approach the current Chief Stewards with any questions they might have about the position.
Candidates for election as Officers of the Association shall submit written statements of their qualifications, goals, and interest in serving. Where two or more candidates stand for an Officer position, an option to reject all candidates shall be placed on the ballots. Where only one candidate is nominated for an Officer position, a ratification ballot shall be conducted. Candidates’ statements shall be circulated with the electronic ballot information.
YUFA members who wish to nominate colleagues (with their consent), or who are themselves willing to serve for the position, should submit their statements to the Association by email ([email protected]). Please use the subject line: Officer Nomination.
Below are the names and brief descriptions of the various joint and YUFA committees which currently have vacancies. Service on YUFA committees counts as service to the University.
Unless otherwise indicated, terms are generally for two (2) years, beginning on June 1, 2022 and ending May 31, 2024. Appointments to committees are approved by the Executive Committee and ratified by Stewards’ Council. If you wish to be considered for any of the positions available, please reach out to [email protected].
Joint Financial Information Subcommittee: 2 vacancies
- The Joint Committee shall establish a Financial Information Subcommittee to serve as the channel for the passing of data and analyses of the financial operations of the University between the parties. The Subcommittee shall meet at least once every six (6) weeks during the Autumn/Winter session and shall submit a summary report of its activities to the JCOAA once annually, between 1 February and 31 March.
Joint Health and Safety Committees: 3 vacancy (Central Square/Stedman/Curtis Lecture Halls/Accolade West, York University Libraries, and the Education Precincts)
- JHSCs are now precinct-based rather than union-based which means that YUFA has representatives on 12 different multi-union JHSCs across campus. Candidates may only apply for a location in which they work (normally where their office or lab is housed). If your office is not located in the precinct to which you’re applying, please advise how you are connected to the specific area represented by the JHSC.
Trustees: 2 vacancies
- Two Trustees are elected each year for the purpose of assisting the members of the Association in performing their duties under this clause. Trustees shall prepare an Annual Report for the following year's AGM that reviews the Association's activities and operations during their year in office and recommend improvements in the methods of operation.
York University Retiree Benefit Trust: 2 vacancies
- YUFA is seeking a nomination to fill two vacancies on the York University Retired Faculty and Librarian Benefit Trust Fund. Trustees are responsible for administering the Fund for the purpose of providing such Benefits, as may be appropriate in accordance with the Benefit Plan adopted from time to time by the Trustees and approved by YUFA after consultation with ARFL.
Communications Committee: 2 vacancies
- The YUFA Communications Committee ensures timely, relevant, and two-way communication with members. There are important matters on the agenda for developing the work of this new standing committee for the coming year.
Community Projects Committee: Open membership
- YUFA'S Community Projects Committee (YUFA-CP) facilitates YUFA’s work with community groups to promote engaged citizenship through access and equity programs, and to undertake community-based research. New members are welcome! If you are interested in joining YUFA-CP, please write to [email protected].
YUFA's Equity Caucuses
YUFA's Equity Officers cordially invite YUFA members who identify as racialized, Indigenous, LGBTQ2, or disabled to join one or more of YUFA's five (5) equity caucuses. Please note that serving on any of YUFA's equity caucuses counts as part of your service work.
- Race Equity Caucus: The Race Equity Caucus (REC) would like to invite interested YUFA members (who identify as racialized and/or visible minorities) to join the Caucus.
- Caucus D’équité Raciale à Glendon: Glendon's Race Equity Caucus is led by racialized part and full-time faculty but open to all faculty committed to race equity.
- Indigenous Caucus: We are a collective of self-identifying Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit) educators here at York University.
- Queer Caucus: YUFA Queer Caucus is made up of YUFA members who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, non-binary, gender variant, Two-Spirit, intersex, queer, or questioning.
- Disability Caucus: The caucus provides an opportunity for faculty members with disabilities to come together, voice their concerns, and advocate for their needs.
Members interested in joining one (or more) of the caucuses should write to [email protected] using the subject line: Equity Caucuses and identifying the specific caucus(es) they wish to join.
Stewards' Council Vacancies
The Stewards' Council provides a forum for discussion of issues of concern to YUFA members and can direct the Executive Committee to take action thereon. Below are the names of the various units who have a steward vacancy. Service on YUFA committees counts as service to the University. Unless otherwise indicated, terms are generally for two (2) years, beginning on June 1, 2022 and ending May 31, 2024. Appointments to Stewards Council are ratified by the unit membership. If you wish to be considered for an open steward position, please reach out to [email protected].
- Theatre, School of Arts, Media, Performance and Design: 1 vacancy
- Visual Art and Art History; Computational Arts School of Arts, Media, Performance and Design: 1 vacancy
- French, Glendon College: 1 vacancy
- Social Sciences, Glendon College (Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, Mathematics, International Studies): 1 vacancy
- Kinesiology and Health Sciences, Health Policy and Management, Faculty of Health: 1 vacancy
- Nursing, Faculty of Health: 1 vacancy
- Psychology, Faculty of Health: 1 vacancy
- Economics, Faculty of LA&PS: 1 vacancy
- French Studies, Faculty of LA&PS: 1 vacancy
- Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics, Faculty of LA&PS: 1 vacancy
- Electrical Engineering; Computer Science, Lassonde School of Engineering: 2 vacancies
- Earth and Space Science; Mechanical Engineering; Civil Engineering, Lassonde School of Engineering: 1 vacancy