It is a requirement of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (“The Act”) to establish a policy that encourages the active participation of all employees in the prevention of incidents and the promotion of health and safety in the workplace.
York University and the York University Faculty Association (YUFA) previously established a Joint Health and Safety Committee under The Act and reached an understanding as to the guidelines for the composition, practices and procedures thereof.
In 2018, York University moved from a Union-based Joint Health and Safety Structure to a Site-based Health and Safety Structure with YUFA representation on a number of those Joint Health and Safety Committees.
JHSC representatives should have an interest in Occupational Health & Safety. One member of the committee must be formally certified to perform workplace inspections and accident investigations. Meetings are set by the Committee. The JHSC protocol can be found on the YUFA website at http://www.yufa.ca/about-2/joint-committees/joint-health-safety-committee.
- Sylvia Defend (AMPD)
- Jack Rozdilsky (Central Square/Stedman/Curtis Lecture Halls/Accolade West)
- James Smith (Engineering)
- Philippe Theophanidis (Glendon)
- Raymond Mar (Science, Health and Environmental and Urban Change)
- John Dupuis (York University Libraries)
- David Murray (LA&PS)
- Patrice Gelinas (Schulich School of Business)
- Duygu Gulseren (Victor Philip Dahdaleh)
- Vacant (JHSC Executive)
- Vacant (Kaneff Tower)
- Vacant (Faculty of Education)
- Vacant (York Lanes)