The Community Projects committee of YUFA (YUFA-CP) supports social justice work in the communities within and surrounding York University through funding new community projects and supporting ongoing programs, in addition to other means.
If you would like to learn more, please visit our website:
Remit & process
The Community Projects Committee (YUFA-CP) is a standing committee of the YUFA Executive. Its mandate is to facilitate YUFA’s work with community groups to promote engaged citizenship through access and equity programs, and to undertake community-based research. Priority is given to initiatives focused on improving access, opportunities, and outcomes for groups currently underrepresented in post-secondary education.
In light of the increasing popularity of community partnerships in university mission statements, YUFA-CP is distinct in its emphasis on a democratic model of engagement in both process and practice. That the YUFA-CP’s work is guided by a commitment social justice unionism and the shared development of knowledge is especially significant.
Our process includes regular monthly meetings where ongoing projects are reviewed and new initiatives considered. YUFA members who represent the different constituents of YUFA, and who have both a strong interest in community-based equity initiatives and the time and energy to actively participate in YUFA-CP work, are particularly encouraged to join.
To fulfil its mandate, the Committee builds on community networks and the feedback those networks provide. YUFA-CP has both an integrative and facilitator function:
- to support and coordinate existing faculty-community projects
- to contribute to the design and implementation of new projects
To date, one of the primary objectives of the YUFA-CP has been to collaborate with the Jane-Finch community on initiatives that enrich the educational experiences and outcomes of neighbourhood kids and young adults. Projects have ranged from funding scholarships and bursaries, to running summer programs, to providing ways for high school students to earn enhanced educational credits, to organizing workshops.
Reports & resources
- 2022-23 Report
- 2021-22 Report
- 2020-21 Report
- 2019-20 Report
- 2018-19 Report
- 2017-18 Report
- 2016-17 Report
- 2015-2016 Budget
- 2015-2016 Annual Report to the YUFA AGM 29 April 2015
- Molade Osibodu: Education
- Luin Goldring: Sociology, LAPS
- Natalia Balyasnikova: Education
- Norda Bell: Libraries, Student Learning & Academic Success Department
- Lorna Erwin: Sociology, LAPS
- Jenny Foster: Environmental and Urban Change
- Estee Fresco: Communications Studies, LAPS
- Valini Geer: School of Nursing, Health
- Kalina Grewal: Libraries
- Amy Hillis: Helen Carswell Chair in Community-Engaged Research in the Arts, AMPD
- Carl James: York Centre for Education and Community (YCEC)
- Jude Dzevela Kong: Mathematics & Statistics, Science
- Raymond Mar: Psychology, Health
- Taien Ng-Chan: Cinema & Media Arts, AMPD
Joel Ong: Computational Arts, AMPD
- Gillian Parekh: Education
- Vidya Shah: Education
- Jessica Vorstermans: Health Policy & Management, Health
- Wendy Wong: Design, AMPD
Community Projects welcomes new members. For more information, or to get involved, please email [email protected].