How to get funding
- Download the Community Projects funding application (form-fillable PDF)
- Download the Community Projects funding application (basic pdf)
Reports & resources
- YUFA Community Projects Blog
- 2019-20 Report
- 2018-19 Report
- 2017-18 Report
- 2016-17 Report
- 2015-2016 Budget
- 2015-2016 Annual Report to the YUFA AGM 29 April 2015
Remit & process
The Community Projects Committee (YUFA-CP) is a standing committee of the YUFA Executive. Its mandate is to facilitate YUFA’s work with community groups to promote engaged citizenship through access and equity programs, and to undertake community-based research. Priority is given to initiatives focused on improving access, opportunities, and outcomes for groups currently underrepresented in post-secondary education.
In light of the increasing popularity of community partnerships in university mission statements, YUFA-CP is distinct in its emphasis on a democratic model of engagement in both process and practice. That the YUFA-CP’s work is guided by a commitment social justice unionism and the shared development of knowledge is especially significant.
Our process includes regular monthly meetings where ongoing projects are reviewed and new initiatives considered. YUFA members who represent the different constituents of YUFA, and who have both a strong interest in community-based equity initiatives and the time and energy to actively participate in YUFA-CP work, are particularly encouraged to join.
To fulfil its mandate, the Committee builds on community networks and the feedback those networks provide. YUFA-CP has both an integrative and facilitator function:
- to support and coordinate existing faculty-community projects
- to contribute to the design and implementation of new projects
In this connection, partnerships have been forged with groups both internal and external to York, including:
- Jane-Finch Caring Village
- Westview Partnership
- Toronto District School Board
- Black Creek Education and Training Working Group
- YUFA Queer Caucus
- Centre for Community Engagement
To date, one of the primary objectives of the YUFA-CP has been to collaborate with the Jane-Finch community on initiatives that enrich the educational experiences and outcomes of neighbourhood kids and young adults. Projects have ranged from funding scholarships and bursaries, to running summer programs, to providing ways for high school students to earn enhanced educational credits, to organizing workshops. Our most recent and ambitious project, the Transitional Year Program (TYP), was launched in September 2010.
- Vidya Shah:Education
- Raymond Mar: Psychology, Health
- Chris Ardern: Kinesiology, Health
- Natalia Balyasnikova: Education
- Natalie Coulter: Communications Studies, LAPS
- Lorna Erwin: Sociology, LAPS
- Jenny Foster: Environmental and Urban Change
- Estee Fresco: Communications Studies, LAPS
- Amy Hillis: Helen Carswell Chair in Community-Engaged Research in the Arts, AMPD
- Luin Goldring: Sociology, LAPS
- Carl James: York Centre for Education and Community (YCEC)
- Jude Dzevela Kong: Mathematics & Statistics, Science
- Taien Ng-Chan: Cinema & Media Arts, AMPD
- Joel Ong: Computational Arts, LAPS
Molade Osibodu: Education
- Gillian Parekh: Education
- Beryl Pilkington: Nursing, Health
- Ray Rogers: Environmental & Urban Change
- Jessica Vorstermans: Health Policy & Management, Health
- Alexandra Widmer: Anthropology, LAPS
Community Projects welcomes new members. For more information, or to get involved, please email [email protected].
Community Projects is on Twitter. Follow us here.