YUFA needs to recommend two members to be appointed to York University's Pension Board of Trustees. The final appointment must be approved by the Board of Governors. The responsibility of the Board of Trustees is to oversee the investments in the York University Pension Plan. The Board meets approximately four times per year.
If you are interested in being appointed, please send a brief statement of interest to the YUFA Executive Committee, and include a very brief bio that can be filed with the nomination: email [email protected] (subject line: Pension Board of Trustees).
The deadline is Thursday, June 15 at 12:00 p.m.
Please see below the basic terms of reference of the Board of Trustees, as taken from the text of the York University Pension Plan.
Section 14.02 Board of Trustees
Administration of the Trust Fund shall be vested in a Board of Trustees, comprised of persons appointed by the University who may be, but need not be, Members of the Plan, and each of whom shall be resident in Canada, and who meet the requirements of the Pension Benefits Act and the Income Tax Act.
As at June 25, 1992, the Board of Trustees is comprised of:
(1) three members of the Board of Governors of the University;
(2) three members of the administration recommended by the President of the University, one of whom shall be the nominee of the York University Professional and Managerial Group;
(3) two members of the York University Faculty Association, as recommended by that Association;
(4) two members of the York University Staff Association, as recommended by that Association;
(5) one member each from the Canadian Union of Educational Workers Local 3, Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 1356 and the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 796, as recommended by that Union.
The University shall appoint a Chairperson from the Board of Trustees to preside at meetings, and a Vice-Chairperson to act in the absence of the Chairperson. The Board of Trustees shall appoint a Secretary to keep minutes of its proceedings, prepare and countersign official documents, and discharge such other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Trustees or the Chairperson.
Section 14.03 Responsibilities of Trustees
The Trust Fund will be administered by the Board of Trustees in accordance with the terms of the Trust Agreement, but will be subject to the provisions of the Pension Benefits Act with respect to the investment of such funds.
A copy of the Trust Agreement may be examined by a Member of the Plan at any reasonable time in the office of the Secretary of the University.