Most of you have received notices from your Dean/Principal calling for the annual submissions of C.V.s. YUFA has received a number of inquiries about this exercise from members who are concerned about the nature of the submission and the nature of any review that might be involved. In response to these queries, we can make the following statements:
- In these memos, the Deans/Principal are asking for you to highlight updated items or provide separate summaries of updated material since the last submission. While the Deans/Principal are entitled to ask for such highlighting or summaries, and you may find value in providing them, they are not required and your Dean/Principal cannot find fault if you do not provide them.
- There is also a Dean's/Principal's announcement that they will review the submissions with the intent of providing feedback. Contrary to what you may have heard from your Dean/Principal, we can confirm that there is no provision in the Collective Agreement establishing a specific performance review relative to the C.V. submission exercise. Any such review would have to be agreed to by the parties in the Collective Agreement; and, of course, the Dean/Principal would have to make clear what the review would entail, any sanctions that would be related to it, and so on. Members do have a general obligation to perform their professional responsibilities as per Article 11, but there is no established procedure of C.V. review by which this is monitored. We can therefore advise--and the Employer has confirmed--that this is not a formal performance review.
- The C.V. submission exercise also asks that you provide a summary of outside professional activities. This request is mandated specifically by Article 18.04 of the Collective Agreement.
- You are only required to send your C.V. in hard copy.
- The Dean's/Principal's deadline of November 1, 2017 is not mandatory, but C.V. submissions must be made by May 1, 2018 in order to avoid the risk that your PTR salary increment is withheld (see Article 22.07 of the Collective Agreement).
If you have any further questions, please email [email protected].
York University Faculty Association
Joint Committee on the Administration of the Agreement