Please scroll down to read full post.
A York Cross-Campus Alliance (CCA) poster displaying support for food service workers at York
Over 200 food service workers at York are currently bargaining a new contract. Their old contract expired in September 2016.
The funding that York provides Aramark to manage food services on our campus is not enough, and keeps hundreds of workers in poverty jobs. York could solve this problem immediately by providing adequate funding for food services, and help food service workers get a fair deal.
'York could solve this problem immediately by providing adequate funding for food services, and help food service workers get a fair deal.'
All of us meet and interact with food service workers every single day: they prepare our meals, they serve us coffee, they keep the food courts running smoothly. Their hard work makes it possible for literally tens of thousands of students, staff and faculty to spend long days on campus—to study, to learn, to teach and to work.
In other words, York works because they do.
Like all workers at York, they deserve respect and dignity at work, decent wages and benefits, and good working conditions. However, these workers work long hours in low-wage, precarious jobs and often face racist harassment in their workplace.
This is unacceptable.
Our university is committed to social justice. That must include food service workers. Here’s how YUFA members can help them win a fair deal:
- Click on York15.ca and let President Shoukri know you support food service workers. Sign up for updates about a possible strike.
- Join the solidarity rally on Tuesday, January 31 from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. outside Tim Hortons in Central Square. Brings signs and banners. Join on Facebook.
- Invite a speaker to your class to make a short announcement about how to support food service workers. Email [email protected]. Or invite your students to visit York15.ca.
- Wear a solidarity sticker to show food service workers you support them (or tell them when you order/pay for food). Stickers will be distributed at Aramark locations this week.
- Post a “solidarity selfie” of yourself wearing a sticker or in front of a solidarity poster (see below--thousands have been distributed across campus). Tag your friends and colleagues. Use #York15 and #YorkU.
- If there’s a strike, try not to use Aramark food services. Get food and/or drink at the Student Centre, York Lanes, or non-Aramark venues (or bring your lunch from home). For a full list of alternatives, click here.
Thank you for your solidarity. Every bit helps!