YUFA and other members of the York Cross-Campus Alliance have released a new six-minute video in support of food service workers on campus. Represented by UNITE HERE Local 75, food service workers staged a one-day strike last week and continue to bargain for decent wages, good working conditions, and respect and dignity at work.
You can view the new video below and here (on Facebook). Please share with your students and colleagues.
YUFA members who are interested in generating support for food service workers are encouraged to consider the following steps:
- Join the second solidarity rally on Wednesday, February 15 from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Tim Hortons, Central Square. Feel free to bring your own signs, placards, or banners. Watch footage of the first solidarity rally here.
- In the event of a strike, please consider not using any Aramark food service locations on campus. A full list of non-Aramark food service locations (including caterers) is available here.
- Continue to promote York15.ca–in your classes (if possible), on social media, among colleagues, etc. Over a thousand letters in support of food service workers have been sent to York President Mamdouh Shoukri. Please click on York15.ca to send a message, if you haven’t done so already.
The Cross-Campus Alliance includes:
- Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 1356 (CUPE 1356)
- Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 3903 (CUPE 3903)
- York Federation of Students (YFS)
- York University Faculty Association (YUFA)
- York University Graduate Students’ Association (YUGSA)
- York University Staff Association (YUSA)
Together, these groups represent tens of thousands of students, staff and faculty at York University.
For more information, please email email@example.com.