What benefits do I have?

YUFA has bargained seven general types of fringe benefits (plus pension benefits and a few small items), which are each described in more detail below:

  • prescription drugs & extended health care,
  • nursing,
  • vision,
  • dental,
  • life insurance,
  • tuition waiver,
  • long term disability income protection.

Please note that Post-Doctoral Visitors are not currently guaranteed benefits under the Collective Agreement. PDV offer letters must specify whether or not benefits are provided. The PDV benefits booklet can be found on the Pension and Benefits office website.

Do I have to pay premiums or deductibles?

Most premiums are paid by the Employer, with the exception of:

  • optional family vision coverage,
  • mandatory long term disability income protection,
  • voluntary accident insurance.

To find out premium costs, consult York Human Resources. As for deductibles, the reimbursement for your first prescription drug or extended health care claim of each year will be reduced by the annual deductible of $25 for single coverage and $50 for family coverage.

What is my drug and extended health care coverage?

This group of benefits can be divided into four areas:

  • Prescription drugs are reimbursed at 100% of your cost.
  • Hospital coverage, which entitles you to 100% reimbursement for a private or semi-private room, should you request it. Most other expenses related to hospital care are covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).
  • Health practitioners, who include registered professionals in the following disciplines: chiropractic, podiatry, osteopathy, massage therapy, naturopathy, athletic therapy, physiotherapy, clinical psychology, and speech therapy. For details of these coverages, see the Benefits Booklet.
  • Medical supplies & equipment, such as hearing aids, casts and dressings, wheelchairs, and oxygen.

For more information, contact York Human Resources.

What is my nursing coverage?

Each covered person has up to $10,000 per year to cover private duty nursing. This includes the services of a registered nurse (RN), a registered practical nurse (RPN) and, in some exceptional cases, a full-time attendant. If you plan to make a nursing claim, you should first get pre-approval. Usually custodial care that doesn’t require an RN or RPN, or where the caregiver resides with you, won’t be covered.

What is my vision coverage?

It covers prescription eyeglasses / sunglasses, contacts, eye exams, and laser surgery. For expenses between 1 April 2012 to 31 March 2014, the maximum reimbursement for each covered person is $550. Who’s covered? Just you, unless you purchase the family plan.

What is my dental coverage?

This benefit can be divided into four parts:

  • Basic services, including diagnosis, cleaning every 6 months, X-rays, fillings, extractions, periodontia, and root canals, are fully covered.
  • Dentures are covered at 85% reimbursement.
  • Orthodontia is reimbursed at 75% of each claim up to a lifetime maximum of $6000 per covered person.
  • Restorative services, which include caps, crowns, and bridges, are reimbursed at 85% of each claim up to an annual maximum of $7000 per covered person.

Before embarking on any course of treatment over $500, ask your dentist to submit a ‘predetermination’ to Sun Life in order to establish what the coverage will be. For more details, see the Benefits Booklet.

What if I am out of the province when I need to use a covered service?

In Canada, you’re fully covered. If you’re out of the country, use Europ Assistance. Europ Assistance provides medical referral services, will verify your coverage to medical facilities, and can help with translation, lost luggage, emergency travel, repatriation of remains, and the like. Have your Travel Card on hand.

Are vaccines covered?

You have up to $200 annually toward prescribed vaccines.

What if I don’t get the reimbursement I think I should from Sun Life?

First, contact Sun Life at 1 800 361 6212. Have your employee number and the Sun Life / York University contract number(s) on hand. For Extended Health Care and Dental, that number is 14098. If this doesn’t solve the problem, contact York Human Resources (416 736 2100 ext. 55005). Then, if you’re still not satisfied, contact YUFA.

What if my spouse also has health benefits?

The order in which you submit claims is explained in the Benefits Booklet, under the ‘Coordination of benefits’ section. If you and your spouse both work at York, contact York Human Resources to find out how you can reduce paperwork by enrolling jointly in the benefits plans.

Where can I get claim forms?

They’re available on York’s Human Resources Website under ‘Documents and Forms’.

I have life insurance?

Yes. Before your ‘normal retirement date’, (defined in Article 14.01 (b)) your life is insured at three times your annual salary (rounded up to the nearest $1000) to a maximum of $600 000. After that date, the benefit equals your annual salary, rounded up.

What is the York tuition waiver?

You, your spouse and your dependents are entitled to tuition waivers at York University. As tuition rates change, so too will the value of this benefit. See the Student Financial Services web page for more fee information for domestic and international students. Note that, as of 2007, Canada Revenue considers tuition waivers to be scholarships and therefore taxable benefits. Also see clause 26.12 of the Collective Agreement and the ‘Eligibility’ section of the Benefits Booklet.

Do we have a tuition waiver anywhere besides York?

There’s an arrangement with Simon Fraser University and a limited one with Carleton University. See clause 26.13 of the Collective Agreement.

What’s my Long-Term Disability (LTD) income protection?

Your LTD coverage ensures that you will continue to have an income should you be unable to work. The benefit is 85% of your net earnings to a maximum of $7,000 per month. ‘Net’ in this case means your monthly salary when you become disabled, less taxes, your pension contribution, and Canada Pension Plan contribution. This benefit isn’t taxed.

How do I negotiate accommodation such as a rehabilitation period when returning to work after being on LTD?

Please refer to the FAQ on accommodation for disability. Note that both the Employer and the insurance carrier will be involved in these negotiations.

What leaves can I take when I’m sick or there’s a family emergency?

Leaves fall into three categories, depending on their duration:

  1. One week or less (‘short-term leave’)

For sick leave, compassionate leave, bereavement leave, emergency leave, leave for extraordinary elder or child care, or other such leaves expected to last a week or less, notify your Chair / Dean / Head as soon as possible.

  1. Over a week, up to a month (‘short-term leave’)

For sick leave, compassionate leave, bereavement leave, emergency leave, leave for extraordinary elder or child care, or other such leaves expected to last up to one month, apply in writing to your Dean / Principal / University Librarian, who is obliged to reply as soon as possible. You may be asked to provide relevant medical documentation.

Your colleagues will be expected to fill in for you.

  1. Over a month, up to 15 weeks (‘long-term leave’)

If you’re sick or disabled for over a month, send your request for a leave of up to 15 weeks to your Dean / Principal / University Librarian. Again, you may be asked for medical documentation. It’s the Employer’s responsibility to arrange for a substitute or to pay your colleagues for filling in for you. If you’re sick or disabled for over 15 weeks, you can either move to LTD or arrange a leave with reduced (or no) pay. If you require a leave to care for a gravely ill family member, note that eligible Canadian workers are entitled to 6 weeks off with Employment Insurance (EI) ‘compassionate care’ benefits.

For leaves available to new parents, click here.

What will my health & dental benefits be when I retire?

As you may know, your health and dental benefits are substantially reduced after retirement. For example, your prescription drug reimbursement will fall from 100% to 80% and $20,000 lifetime maximum for out-of-country medical expenses, per eligible member. The Post Retirement Benefits Program booklet is on the York Human Resources Website.

Effective 1 May 2013, the major restorative dental benefit for retirees will be improved and will be at parity with active YUFA members, i.e., up to 85% of the cost (previously 50%) up to a maximum of $1,250 per year per plan member.